The clarinet is in the woodwind family along with the flute, and saxophone. The clarinet comes in 5 pieces and takes just a few minutes to assemble. When the clarinet is disassembled it fits in a small case and is easy to transport. It is one of the higher pitched instruments in the beginning band but lower than the flute. The clarinet produces a warm, smooth, and mellow tone.
What does the Clarinet sound like?
How to play the clarinet
What does my child need to be successful at the Clarinet?
It is important that you provide your child with the proper materials to be successful. Just as you would provide shin guards to play soccer, a bat to play baseball, or pads to play football. When you provide these types of needed materials your child will have a better chance of being successful.
- Care Kit -Includes items to clean the instrument properly after playing.
- Swab - Is used to remove any moisture from the instrument after each use.
- Cork Grease - Is applied to the joints of the clarinet and helps with the ease of putting the clarinet together
- Reeds - Reeds produce the sound on the clarinet and are available in different strengths. The lower the number the thinner the reed. We recommend that beginners start on a #2 reed and gradually move up in strengths as the player develops his embouchure.
- Reed Guard - Reeds are very fragile and the reed guard protects your reeds from breaking.
- Thumb Rest Cushion- Makes the clarinet more comfortable to hold and protects against blisters and/or skin irritation.
- Music Stand - Used for promoting proper posture while practicing at home.
- Case Tag- Helps identify your child’s instrument case.
- Private or Group Music Lessons- Students who participate in additional lessons have more success. We offer lessons as low as $25 a month.
Is this the best instrument for my child?
Each instrument has its own unique challenges. We strongly recommend that the best instrument for your child to play is the one that they are most interested in. If a child is forced to play an instrument they will be less likely to succeed. If they get to play the instrument they are interested in they will be more likely to practice which will lead to a more successful and fulfilling musical experience.
The clarinet is one of the easier instruments to make a sound and play. Many students feel familiar with the clarinet as it is similar to a recorder. In order to produce a note on the clarinet, the student will blow against the reed which causes the reed to vibrate which creates the sound. After the child produces their first sound they will then press different keys to produce notes. Each note has a unique combination of keys that produces a particular sound
Should I rent or purchase?
When your child is just starting out we recommend that you rent a quality musical instrument. This gives you the flexibility to return the instrument if your child decides not to continue after 1 year. If you child decides to continue Bertrand’s Music offers a rent to own program in which all of your money applies towards the retail value of a brand new instrument. Bertrand’s Music offers teacher approved instruments with great rental benefits
What areas does Bertrand's Music Service?
Bertrand's Music is based in Southern California and has 8 locations that service:
San Diego County:
4s Ranch, Carmel Valley, Scripps Ranch, Rancho Penasquitos, Mira Mesa, Poway, Eastlake, Alpine, Bonita, Bonsall, Borrego Springs, Campo, Camp Pendelton, Cardiff, Carlsbad, Chula Vista, Coronado, Delmar, Dulzura, El Cajon, Encinitas, Escondido, Fallbrook, Imperial Beach, Jacumba, Jamul, Julian, La Jolla, La Mesa, Lakeside, Lemon Grove, MCAS, Mt. Palomar, National City, Ocean Beach, Oceanside, Pacific Beach, Pala, Pine Valley, Potrero, Ramona, Rancho Bernardo, Rancho Santa Fe, San Marcos, Santa Ysabel, Santee, San Ysidro, Solana Beach, Spring Valley, Valley Center, Vista, Warner Springs
San Bernardino, Redlands, Rancho Cucamunga, Riverside, Highland, Corona
Anaheim, MIssion Viejo, Aliso Viejo, Rancho Santa Margarita
Los Angeles County:
City of Los Angeles, San Fernando Valley, Pasadena, South Pasadena, Arcadia, Temple City, San Marino, Diamond Bar, North Hollywood, Burbank, Glendale, Sun Valley